Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday

My typical Sunday: 
After hours of staring at my computer screen, clicking on random keys, moving the mouse frantically left n right, I take a break to glance at the time. 7:00AM...  half an hour left for the mess to open.
Basically, after gaming the entire night on my laptop, I go and eat a couple of delicious cheese omlettes for breakfast a
nd then sleep through the rest of the day.

This Sunday:
Annoyed by some noise near my ear, I pick up my cell and glance at the message. "7:00 Alarm. Wake up. Walkathon!!"
Hmmm, it felt nice to be asleep throughout the night and wake up on a sunday morning. The cheese omlettes tasted just as delicious.
I donned a white shirt and blue jeans and 
headed towards KC. A group of students and members of the Disha Club were gathe
ring 
to have a walkathon around Manipal supporting child literacy. Around 10 children from neighbouring schools had also joined in and were leading the march. 
It was fun, as everyone sang nursery rhymes, catchy childhood tunes and entertaining hindi songs while marching around town, holding up banners and placards.
The Director was also present for the walkathon, and humorously added that he was always thinking of ways to get students up n about early on sunday mornings since he always finds his campus so deserted when he is up for his morning walk.
The walkathon was organized from KC to EDU buillding and back to IC. At IC, members of ADA performed a short play demonstrating why education was necessary. We also watched a short documentary showcasing the students studying in nearby schools, and their hopes and aspirations. Overall it was a very well co
nducted event, my first walkathon, and an enjoyable experience.

It was now 12 in the afternoon. For those of you who don't know me that well, I'm quite afraid of blood. I don't know how i developed the fear, but its a part of me now; even a pin prick is sometimes successful in making me dizzy and sweat profusely. And another thing about me, is that I try to conquer my fears. So on this very Sunday, the NCC corps at our college were organizing a blood donation camp in collaboration with Kasturba Medical College.
I registered myself for it, and stood for about an hour and a half in the queue, waiting to get my blood tested to see if it would be donation worthy. The initial test was a pin prick. A medical student seated at the desk noted down my weight, and then made me sit down. Next, a small prick is made on the tip of a finger, so that blood comes out slowly. This blood is sucked into a capillary tube, and spread on slides for various tests.
All throughout this procedure, i was fine. As soon as i got up to go to the next table, my head started spinning. I started to counsel myself. "Dude, stop it.. you know you're fine, nothings gonna happen" etc etc... No result. I was sweating profusely and very dizzy. I made my way to the table n chair and put my head down. After about 20 mins of resting and consuming a lot of water, frooti, appy fizz and maaza (all free btw) i finally felt better.

At the second test they test the blood pressure. Mine was 100/60 i think; and normal BP is 120/80. I later learnt it was on the lower side since i was sweating for a long time.

Next i made my way to the bed and lied down. One of the doctors came and cleaned a region on my arm, and stuck a needle through it. For the next 15 mins there was this slight sensation, as if a mild pinch at my arm. But it was not as painful as i had imagined in my head. It was rather painless. Surprisingly and thankfully no dizziness or sweat accompanied this experience. Had a few snacks 
and made my way to KC canteen to have a mega lunch at 3 in the afternoon.


Now most would think, phew, 2 good deeds in the day, enough dude..
But then, at 5 in the evening there was another walkathon demonstrating against terrorism. This too was just as enjoyable as the one I had in the morning. However, instead of singing nursery rhymes, we were shouting slogans like: "Youth against: Terror" and "Youth for: Peace". After a lot of shouting and almost losing my voice, I completed this walkathon too.




                                    
We ended it by lighting candles to show our support to the innocent victims of countless terror attacks in our country.


This would have to be one of the best Sunday's of my life as yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment